If you did your shopping right, then you may have already found the perfect synthetic wig. But at some point, every wig wearer asks “how can I wash my synthetic wigs”.
Well, washing your synthetic wigs is easy and you only need a few minutes. So keep reading, while we break down the process.
What You’ll Need to Wash Synthetic Wigs
Below are a few items you’ll need to wash your synthetic wigs:
- A wig brush (regular hair brushes can create tension and get caught up in the synthetic hair or wig cap).
- A wig shampoo (or mild laundry detergent) and a conditioner.
- A clean towel or cloth for drying your wig.
- A wig stand or drying rack to hold your synthetic wig after washing.
How To Wash Your Synthetic Wigs: A Step by Step Guide
Before you begin the wig washing process, you should prepare the synthetic wig by brushing it to remove knots and separate the hair fibers.
Now, let’s wash that wig.
Step 1: Prepare the water and soak the wig
Simply fill a bowl or your sink with water. Then add the wig shampoo or laundry detergent to the water and mix it. Next, soak the synthetic wig for a few minutes (ensure the wig is fully submerged).
Step 2: Clean the wig
Gently rub your fingers through the wig fibers to remove dirt or oil build-up. But avoid scrubbing the wig with a sponge to prevent tangling. However, you may need a small brush (or old toothbrush) to clean any makeup stains on the wig cap.
Step 3: Rinse the wig
Next, remove your synthetic wig from the water and rinse under a tap or in a bowl of clean water. Ensure to rinse the wig properly and remove any remaining shampoo or detergent.
Step 4: Apply synthetic wig conditioner
Now your wig is nice and clean, the next step is applying a conditioner to enhance the look and feel of your wig.
To condition your synthetic wig, pour cool water into a bowl or sink and add the conditioner. Then soak the wig and lightly massage it in the water.
And once again, rinse the wig with cool water.
Step 5: Dry your Synthetic wig
Next, dry your synthetic wig using a clean towel or piece of cloth to dap the wig. Also, you can wrap a towel around the wig, then squeeze it lightly to remove the excess water.
Now, hang your synthetic wig to dry on a wig stand or anything available. However, using a wig stand can help maintain the wig’s shape.
Once your wig is dry, you can style it and prepare it for your next wear.
How Often Should You Wash Synthetic Wigs?
The amount of times you’ll need to wash your synthetic wigs ultimately depends on how often you wear them. But some people advise you to wash your synthetic wigs after wearing them 15-20 times.
Also, some activities require you to be around heavy smoke or dust, so you may have to wash the wigs more frequently. But remember that overwashing your synthetic wigs can reduce their lifespan.
Tips for Maintaining Synthetic Wigs
Here are some tips to help you maintain and take care of your synthetic wigs:
- Avoid sleeping with your synthetic wig if you don’t have to.
- Only use hair products that are made for synthetic wigs.
- Using a wig head to dry your wig will help to maintain its shape.
- Ensure your synthetic wig is heat-safe before exposing them to heat.
- Never comb or brush your synthetic wig when it’s wet.
- A fabric softener isn’t necessary, but it can help to revive and soften synthetic wigs.
- Don’t use a washing machine to wash or dry your synthetic wigs (even though synthetic wig fibers are similar to our clothes).
Washing synthetic wigs is as easy as wearing them. You just need some items and a few minutes to make those synthetic wigs look cleaner than ever.
Come back and reread this guide If you’re ever having trouble with washing your synthetic wigs.